← SurfacedDrop no. 11Tech news drama6min read
Kristin Smart Case 2026: Why the Arroyo Grande Dig Found No Remains
The story behind the drop.
After four days of digging at Susan Flores's Arroyo Grande home, investigators left without recovering Kristin Smart's remains.
Published
UTC
Reading time
6 min
~210 wpm
Word count
1,255
plain English
Category
Tech news drama
tech-news-drama
After four days of digging at the Arroyo Grande, California home of Susan Flores, investigators searching for Kristin Smart packed up on Saturday, May 9, 2026 without recovering her remains.
A four-day search that ended in soil samples, not a body
The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office served search warrants the week of May 5, 2026 at multiple properties tied to the 1996 disappearance of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo student Kristin Smart, and concluded the active dig on Saturday, May 9. The primary site was a home on the 500 block of East Branch Street in Arroyo Grande, owned by Susan Flores, the mother of convicted killer Paul Flores. Active excavation began early Wednesday, May 6 and ran roughly four days.
The warrant carried a specific "kick-out" provision requiring the property's occupants to vacate the premises while the operation was underway. That detail matters. It signals investigators expected a physical search invasive enough that the people who live in the home could not be present. Sheriff's investigators were joined at the Arroyo Grande site by FBI agents. Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office deputies served a related warrant in Los Angeles County, and a separate warrant was reported to have been served at a property in Washington State as part of the same coordinated operation.
The Sheriff's Office said no remains of Kristin Smart were recovered. "We did not recover Kristin Smart," the office said in its May 9 statement. "Detectives will be evaluating any evidence we have recovered to aid in the investigation."
The forensic case for digging at all
Investigators have explained that they came back to the family's properties because the soil science had moved on. Alongside ground-penetrating radar, the team deployed soil-vapor sampling, a technique that uses tubing inserted into the dirt to detect volatile organic compounds tied to human decomposition. Hand excavation by archaeologists rounded out the methodology. The dig team included environmental engineer Tim Nelligan, retired FBI forensic scientist Brian Eckenrode, and environmental scientist Steve Hoyt.
At a May 8 press conference, Sheriff Ian Parkinson laid out the cautious version of what the science was saying. "We believe that, based on what we've been looking at, evidence-wise, scientific evidence, that remains were there at one time, or still there," Parkinson said. "We can't call it Kristin, but there's evidence to support human remains." That caveat is the heart of the May 2026 story. The Sheriff's Office is saying its instruments registered the chemical signature it would expect from human decomposition at some point in the property's history, while simultaneously refusing to claim that what the soil remembered was Kristin Smart.
The 2026 dig was the first major excavation at the Susan Flores side of the family's properties. It was preceded by a high-profile March 2021 search of Ruben Flores's home on White Court, where cadaver dogs and ground-penetrating radar led archaeologists to identify a six-by-four-foot soil disturbance under the deck. Samples from that 2021 dig tested positive for degraded human blood. Those findings became the spine of the prosecution's theory at trial: that Smart's body had been buried beneath the deck and later moved.
How a 1996 disappearance became a 2022 murder conviction
Kristin Smart was 19 years old, a freshman at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, when she was last seen at about two in the morning on Saturday, May 25, 1996, walking back from an off-campus birthday party over Memorial Day weekend. Paul Flores, a fellow Cal Poly student, was the last person reported to have been with her. He told police he walked her toward his dormitory and then let her continue alone. Her body has never been found. She was declared legally dead on May 25, 2002, six years to the day after she vanished.
For more than two decades the case stalled. Independent journalist Chris Lambert's podcast "Your Own Backyard," which launched on September 30, 2019, is widely credited with reviving public attention and surfacing witness accounts; the show has been downloaded more than 30 million times. Paul Flores was arrested on April 13, 2021, 25 years after Smart's disappearance. He was convicted of first-degree murder on October 18, 2022 and sentenced on March 10, 2023 to 25 years to life. He is serving that sentence at California State Prison, Corcoran, and has been ordered to pay more than $350,000 in restitution to the Smart family. His father, Ruben Flores, was charged as an accessory after the fact and acquitted by jury on the same day his son was convicted.
Paul Flores's legal options are largely exhausted. A California appellate court upheld his conviction in October 2025, and the California Supreme Court denied his petition for review on January 11, 2026. The May 2026 dig was not about him. It was about whether the physical body that the 2022 jury concluded existed can still be recovered.
What it means that Susan Flores is a "person of interest"
After the dig concluded, Sheriff Parkinson identified Susan Flores, the homeowner, as a person of interest who could face prosecution if evidence supports it. She has not been charged with any crime. The Arroyo Grande property she owns sits about 16 miles south of the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo campus, well within the geography that has framed the case since the start.
The status of "person of interest" is precise and limited. It is not a charge, not a finding, and not a prediction. It is a public acknowledgment that an individual's relationship to the evidence is under active examination. In a case that has spent decades being relitigated in podcasts, courtrooms, and television specials, that precision matters. The Sheriff's Office is signaling that the investigation is not closing with the conclusion of the dig, while remaining inside the boundary the legal process draws.
Parkinson summarized the operating posture in a single sentence on May 8: "We will dig anywhere the evidence shows us." Whether that becomes another warrant in another county, or a return to soil already turned, is unsettled.
Thirty years on, a case that refuses to close
The thirty-year anniversary of Kristin Smart's disappearance falls on May 25, 2026, just over two weeks after the May 2026 search concluded. In a statement released on May 8, the Smart family wrote, "For thirty years, we have lived with a pain no family should have to endure, as heartache, frustration, and setbacks have woven themselves into our everyday lives."
That sentence is the emotional register the case now sits in. A first-degree murder conviction has been secured and upheld. A father was acquitted. A mother has been named a person of interest. Soil science has progressed to the point that investigators are willing to return to a property they did not previously excavate. And after four days of digging, the literal physical question that has shaped this case since 1996, where is Kristin Smart, is still unanswered.
What the May 2026 search produced is a narrower kind of certainty: that the chemical and physical traces of human remains were, at some point, present at a home owned by the convicted killer's mother. Detectives are still evaluating the evidence collected. The pursuit of the physical truth, as the video puts it, continues.
Sources
// Sources · primary references
06 refs- Search concludes May 9, 2026 (KEYT)keyt.com
- Sheriff's May 8 news conference (KTLA)ktla.com
- Warrant at Susan Flores's home (CBS Sacramento)cbsnews.com
- Search ends without recovery (NBC News)nbcnews.com
- 2021 archaeologist testimony on the deck anomaly (KSBY)ksby.com
- Case background (Wikipedia)en.wikipedia.org
// More from Tech news drama
See category →Kilmar Abrego Garcia Case Dismissed: Judge Rules Prosecution Was Vindictive
A federal judge in Nashville dismissed the smuggling indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, ruling the prosecution was vindictive.
OpenAI Model Disproves Erdős Unit Distance Conjecture (May 2026)
A general-purpose OpenAI reasoning model broke an 80-year-old planar unit-distance bound by reframing the problem into algebraic number theory.
Donovan Mitchell Finally Clears the Second Round as Cavaliers Rout Pistons in Game 7
Cleveland walked into Little Caesars Arena as a No. 4 seed and dismantled the 60-win Pistons 125-94 to reach its first Conference Finals since 2018.